After that deployment in Afghanistan, the huge Ordinance air Blast is the largest conventional bomb ever to be supplied in combat. It relies on a different form of device to load such a huge punch.
You are watching: How does a moab bomb work
- most bombs space a mix that "fuel" - to drive the explosion - and also an oxidizer the the fuel deserve to burn with. The mother of every Bombs- huge Ordinance wait Blast (MOAB) is different. It"s a thermobaric weapon, meaning that it can use the oxygen in the air in ~ the detonation site. Because there"s no oxidizer, the bomb can carry much more of the explosive fuel component. Read: united state drops largest non-nuclear bomb ~ above "IS" target in Afghanistan
- regular bombs explode out from a tiny area. Thermobaric bombs choose the MOAB scatter the explosive fuel choose an aerosol, make it feasible for them come ignite the neighboring atmosphere. "What the does is usually suck out every one of the oxygen and lights the waiting on fire," invoice Roggio, of the foundation for Defense the Democracies think tank, called the newspaper Air pressure Times. "It"s a method to obtain into locations where typical bombs can"t reach."
- For army purposes, the GBU-43/B MOAB changed the "daisy cutter," an wait burst weapon that could be used to clear vegetation because that helicopter landing sites during the Vietnam War.
- that doesn"t permeate the most heavy defenses that rock and concrete (there"s a various bomb dubbed the MOP for that), and instead is offered on soft to tool targets. When dropped in the right place in a had environment choose a cavern system, though, the MOAB could do an excellent damage, specifically given its building of suck the waiting away.
US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan
Send facebook Twitter reddit email on facebook Messenger internet Whatsapp internet Telegram linkedin
- rather of being dropped with normal bomb only doors, the hefty MOAB is thrust out of a cargo plane on a pallet. The then increases rapidly to its terminal velocity. The GBU-43/B is directed by a satellite guidance system and fins, making it one of the world"s biggest "smart" bombs.
- The MOAB would usually explode about 6 feet (1.8 meters) above the ground and measures 9 meter (30 feet) in length. The is about a meter wide and weighs 9,500 kilograms (21,000 pounds), around twice the weight of the small Boy atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.
- the casing is thin, come ensure the preferably blast istransfer . The MOAB deserve to clear out trees in a 150 meter (492 foot) diameter.
- The explosive fuel is Tritonal, a mixture of four parts TNT come one component aluminum powder. The aluminum boosts the damaging power the TNT would have actually on its very own by virtually 20 percent.
- according to the military equipment site Deagel.com, one MOAB costs around $16 million (15,6 million euros), and 20 have been produced. That"s around $320 million so much - although this was widely common via social media together the amount because that one bomb.
- The MOAB was an initial tested on 11 march 2003 in ~ Eglin Air pressure Base in Florida.
- The Russians have arisen a weapon knownas the "Father of all Bombs." although smaller, a higher temperature in ~ the blast facility is purported to do it 4 times an ext powerful 보다 the MAOB.
See more: This Is T He Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Most Beautiful Girl In The World 2020
- Yielding a blast the indistinguishable to 11 metric tons of TNT, the Afghanistan MOAB detonation is lot smaller than other big non-nuclear explosions in history. In December 1917, the SS Imo and also SS Mont Blanc collided in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The result blast was about 2.9 kilotons (equivalent to 2,900 metric loads of TNT). It would require about 250 MOAB blasts to equal the Halifax explosion. In 1947, British engineers tried to ruin submarine facilities on the north Sea island that Helgoland - which had actually been supplied as a base for German U-boats - in an operation well-known as the "British Bang." The island survived the 3.2 kiloton blast, yet with significant damage.